Monday 30 July 2012

PERFORMANCE THROUGH PERSISTENCE

If anyone has had the pleasure to either be coached by or had a chat with my coach Dan Atkins they will gather pretty quickly that he is a firm believer in persistence. A motto that Dan swears by and one that the DAT crew hear often is 'performance through persistence'. Over the last month or two I have really come to understand what this motto is all about. Persistence is key, with not only training but recovery too.
As every athlete goes through a block of training they see their fair share of tough days. I have just gone through one of the toughest weeks ever. Not only physically but also mentally. Fridays stingers are a swim/bike session. Having a less then desirable swim session I find myself asking the same questions "what the heck is going on?" followed by "I cant do this, its too hard". Reluctantly I pulled on my cycling gear and decide its time for a change of attitude, also thanks to some motivating words from Dan. We head off to the DAT secret location where legs are burnt and souls are searched better wise known for its Friday 'STINGER', it is similar to the hill on the ITU JRN Devonport course, for those that have had the pleasure to ride over it. Once completing a number of reps to the satisfaction of Dan we head to the crit for 17 fast laps. Turning thoughts from 'I cant do' to 'I can' was the battle of the day. Being able to overcome a mental battle and turn the session from bad to good is always a gratifying feeling. Knowing that come race day I can recall on the tough days and being persistent with my training I am able to achieve the goals I set myself. A very fitting quote that someone sent me earlier this week has stuck with me and I think it is suited to how I am feeling at the moment. Hopefully you read it, see its meaning and take something from it.
"He who has invested the most is the last to surrender"

A photo of myself and training partner Emily post ride

Whilst on the topic of 'tough' I have found someone who is absolutely amazing, the things this man has achieved and is striving for is breathtaking. I find him and his story truly inspiring. His name Oscar Pistorius. Take a look at this bio I'm sure your too agree with me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3M9cdo-eYI&feature=fvwrel

Till next time!

Just back yourself
HG






No comments:

Post a Comment