Monday 17 September 2012

Controlling the uncontrollable

Over the last three month I feel as if I've been on the longest roller coast of emotions. Being named in the AUS Junior World squad was such a high and achievement for me and to be able to share this experience with my great friend and training partner Emily Bevan was just the icing on the cake. Together Emily, my coach Dan and myself have worked through all the bumps on our path through the selection process. I can say it was not easy, never the less in true DAT spirit we 'got the job done'. I am now more then overjoyed for Emily as she continues her prep towards the Auckland World Championship. She is one tough chick with endless talent and determination, I have no doubts that she will tear it up at Worlds. Best of luck and congratulations to all the athletes named in the team. This selection process has made me a more determined and stronger athlete. Ive learnt what to expect, how to deal with it and then how to overcome those uncontrollable situations with a positive outlook.

 
Earlier this week Emily, Luke, Dan and myself arrived home at some ungodly hour from the ITU Chendgu Premium Asian Cup. China was hot, humid and tough but nothing we couldn't handle. Right from the get-go China faced up with a few minor obstacles the first, arriving at the right hotel in one piece. Upon arrival and right throughout our stay the hospitality that we received was amazing! Always an eager volunteer to help with any problems. For me this made what was to be a very sticky situation somewhat easier, after discovering my tubular was shot and in desperate need of a new tire. So Dan, Emily, yellow shirt and myself jumped into a car with our sights set of a bike shop. Our first you could hardly classify as a bike store and once we showed them my Zipp the look of confusing that crossed their faces was not missed as they had never seen a wheel like that before in their lives. So back in the taxi continuing our hunt, eventually finding store. The shop assistant understood what we were after, went out back and brought us his personal wheel took of the tire and gave us his. We now had a new tire but finding glue was even harder. Driving around for another hour we had little luck. I would like to send out a HUGE thank you to Dan Wilson for his assistance in my little wheel fiasco. He most definitely saved the day!

 
On the day of the race the sun, smog and humidity came out to place with us. It also seemed to get hotter throughout the day in lead up to the female start. This race being my first pontoon start I was a little worried going in, 'what if my goggles come off, what if I get pumped from the dive, what if I get swam over the top off and does get up, What if I miss the start and left standing there'. These were all thoughts running around my head. But to my surprise I had a clean dive and by the first 10 strokes I could see that I was in front and by the first buoy comfortably in the front pack. I soon found some feet and sat in not want to waste to much energy fighting with the other girls. Coming into T1 with 8 other girls I could tell we had a slight lead over the rest of the field. I was keen to keep this gap but after a few laps I could tell the chase pack was going to catch, so I did what I needed to but nothing more and leave the race down to the run. Being caught just as we entered T2 a group of about 14 girls left transition. The pace was on right from the start with Yuliya Yelistrova out in front and not looking back eventually winning with over a minute to second place. Having the sun heat and smog having a huge effect on me all I could do was to finish the race. Crossing in 15th with Emily finishing in 10th place. Also well done to Lukey who had a stellar race coming in 15th.

 
What's next? Moreton Bay Triathlon this weekend then a solid 3 months of training. Getting ready for Junior series kicking off in December... London 2013.
 
 
HG*

No comments:

Post a Comment